TADAAAAN! Smoothed Particle Hidrodynamics (SPH
) for Blender particle system
(True Fluid Particles)
Long time without posting huh?
well, I have prepared a surprise, I have being making recently some research in the area of SPH
simulators (don´t blame me, gathering resources for Bloxel I found this and since its development is shorter than Bloxel I decied not keep community waiting
) and came up with the first draft of SPH physiscs for the powerfull Blender Particle System.
For the ones that SPH means something camed from the stars I have to tell that in some way you are rigth, SPH was developed firstly in 1977 for simulating astrophisical processes . The fundamentals of the SPH theory are the interpolation theory, the units in the SPH method represent a region in space and not a real particle, thus field variables (pressure,viscosity,velocity,color, etc) are found by avergaing, or smoothing the field variables over a region of interest. SPH is often described as a rugged, robust technique that could be esaily extended to N dimensions while Eulerian approaches (Grid based methods) suffer from the curse of dimesionality (computation grows exponentially with dimesions).
• Arbitrary scene set ups, no need to define a domain.
• Intuitive and artist friendly.
• Posibility to handle arbitrary complex interactions like hetero-fluids simulations, and unexpected deformations.
• Robust, adaptable and extensible.
• Good results even with low number of particles.
• Represent a natural extention to the current Blender particle system.
• Excelent for some crazy fluid like particle FX´s .
• represent one of the most versatile and flexible fluid simulator type.
• Does not depend on boundary conditions.
To achieve the same level of accuracy than a grid based simulator like El´beem require high number of particles.
• improve speed and stability (particle KD-tree?)
• Jhacka review and possible integration?
This new method is not a replacement for the Blender El´beem fluid simulator, is just a complement and a natural extention to the current particle system, like many other packages have implemented (Softimage, Houdini, Realflow, etc.)
I plan to release the match for next weeque for further development and review, alos the GUI is not finished and some design consierations should be made, this patch is nearly ready to go and it will not require any traumatic change in Blender so will be safe to commit.
Hope you like it