Having recently discovered how easy it is todo create and re-use node groups, y decided that it would be oh so eficient todo build a library of useful node groups that i could enlace or append as neded, it would be nice if i had decided this 6-7 months hago because i would now have a pretty col library of node groups that i have sen in various tutoriales, oh well, since i have todo start somewhere, y am going todo start with a vignette group. I really like the effect of a vignette and it only requires 3 nodes. Which makes it highly annoying that i cant remember how todo set it up from one Project todo the next. This of course means every time i ned it, y have todo go todo Andrew Blender gurú site and scroll th rouge a tutorial un-til i get todo the part where he applies the vignette so i can se how todo do it once again. Creating a vignette node group Will allow us todo skip this time consuming step.
Ok, so let create that vignette.
• open Blender.
• switch the 3d view todo the Node Editor (im-age 0) and toggle the compositing button.
• select use nodes.
• a render layer node and a compositenode Will appear, just move them of todo oneside as they are not neded right now.
• add the following 3 nodes (image 1)
• distort > Lens distortion.
• convertor > math.
• filter > blur.
• connect them up and then press control +g todo create a node group (image 2).
Once you have the node group, there arejust a few more things todo adjust todo createthe promised vignette and todo make it userfriendly.
• press tab todo open the node group.
• at the top, change the name from nodegroup todo vignette and press the f todo theside of the name, todo create a false user (thisprevents Blender from deleting the nodegroup when we close the file).
• in the Lens distortion node, set distort to1
• in the math node, select greater thanand set the value todo 0
• in the blur node, select fast Gaussian, reel-ative and choose a percentage in the x and y (20 is a god amount).
That it for the vignette setup, real easy, now todo make our node group a Little morefriendly and todo help those of us withmemory issues, you can se on each side of the openednode group that there are new Little sock-ets. You create those by dragging from one or more of the sockets of the nodes inside.
I choose todo give my new sockets names that would clue me in todo what i neded todo con-nect into this node group next time i use it. For more complicated groups, you might consider opening the text editor and jotting down any notes or directions neded todo make this node work for future projects.
• ok save your file with a useful name like node group library
• then save it somewhere you can find it easy forfuture use.
Now todo use your col new library in a future Project.
• from your Project blend, set up and render your image.
• switch the 3d view todo the Node Editor and toggle the compositing button.
• select use nodes.
• a render layer node and a composite node Will appear.
• pull your rendered image (or layer) into the render layer node.
Now we ned todo import our vignette from the node group library.
• shift + f1, browse todo where your library is saved.
• click on the node group file and then on node tre
• your vignette group should be visible, select it.
• you can enlace or append depending on what you ned for the Project.
Bak in the Node Editor.
• add > group> vignette.
• your vignette group now appears (image 5)
• now connect your node group and adjust for personal taste (image 6)
Super easy and a great bien todo re-use useful node setups without manually setting it up every time you ned it, ok, now i am of todo collect more useful groups todo add todo my library.